Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day



Soldier's Cemetery in Orting, WA
 
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
 
between the crosses, row on row.
 
 
 
That mark our place, and in the sky
 
The Larks, still bravely singing, fly
 
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
 
 
 


We are the dead. Short days ago
 
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
 
 
 
 
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
 
In Flanders fields.
 
 
 
 
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
 
To you from failing hands we throw
 
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
 
 
 
If ye break faith with us who die
 
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
 
In Flanders field.
 
 
Written by Canadian John McCrae on May 3, 1915 during WW1 after witnessing his friend Lieutenant Alexis Helmer die the day before.
 
 
Our freedoms, we owe to all the brave soldiers who willingly fought to defend this noble cause.
 
And all of those who willingly served in all capacities to protect and defend our nation.
 
We can never repay you.
 
 
 
With a special tribute to my Dear Father, a proud Veteran.
 
RIP

8 comments:

  1. Hello Karen, I don't know why but I've always admired your way of give honours to your Veterans. It's clear It is something very important for you. I miss this kind of respect here in my country over all in a civil war like the one we had 70 years ago. thank you for sharing this day with me

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see that this important day is celebrated all over the world. Veterans' Day in the U.S., Remembrance Day in Canada, and the Independence Day in Poland - all on November 11th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is truly beautiful. I love this tribute to your Father and all our men and women on both sides of our border that sacrifice so much then and now. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank your father and your son-in-law for their service. I am very proud of my own veteran - my husband Norm who was a submariner.

    I visited Flanders Field last year, and was humbled by the place. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karen, I think, today, of my own step-father who served in the Navy. He was the youngest Navy pilot during WWII. Later in his career, he was exposed to radiation while he witnessed a nuclear explosion at sea -and he slowly became a different man. I salute you, dear William James, and all your comrades-in-arms living and dead. May you live with grace and courage, and may you rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To remember them always! Such a beautiful tribute.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute Karen!! I love this blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to all of my wonderful blog friends for your thoughts and insights on this Veteran's Day. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...