Monday, November 28, 2011

Fall into Winter


For me, the week after Thanksgiving signals the start of a new season. Even though Winter doesn't officially begin for 3 weeks, this is the time for transition. The golden fall leaves are gone, swept into the wind, and now the Holly is bright with vibrant red berries. I took a walk up to see and my approach set off a flurry of feathers, as the birds are already feasting on the bounty. This particular tree stands at least 30 feet tall. Every year she disperses her seeds through birds and we now have a new generation of Holly growing everywhere.


She is beautiful in a little clearing next to Hubby's workshop. In the Spring the last of her berries are always eaten by a flock of Cedar Waxwings. The Waxwings will stay long enough to strip her of her berries, usually a week or so, and we love seeing these delightful visitors every year, with their lovely black masks and red tipped wings.

We always have fresh holly to decorate for the holidays. But I am not ready to snip her branches quite yet. I need a few more days to transition. I am still savoring Thanksgiving and the ending of Fall.


We had a lovely Holiday, with the table set for 10. I must admit that it was all a blur for me, as I am head cook and hostess and although I do enjoy it all, every bit, I do get a bit tired and need time to recover. And now the leftovers are gone, the pie crumbs swept away, all the dishes washed and put back into place and I can finally breathe a happy sigh of relief that it all went off without a hitch. The turkey was delicious, the gravy wasn't lumpy, the pies were really good, and it was absolutely wonderful having my precious family all together and around the table, laughing, happy, and full of thanks.


So I will gradually start my transition to Winter by bringing in some red and green.


I need a little time between Holidays. I just add a few colorful touches here and there to put me in the right frame of mind.


I always change the art hanging over the daybed every season.


I've replaced my fall scene of fallen leaves and quail.....


With this simple painting of a quiet Winter activity. The colors are so rich and warm.

Gradually I will add some Holiday decorations. Little by little. Time flies by. I want it to slow down, just a bit.


So I can savor the memories. And enjoy each new day. One day at a time.

I hope you had a Lovely Thanksgiving.


3 comments:

  1. Precious, Karen. You have a lot of love in your words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it looks like it was a beautiful Thanksgiving for your family. I completely agree with you about needing a little time to transition to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I heard the weatherman on the BBC say that the 1st of December is the start of winter for weather forecasters. So you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...