Friday, May 27, 2011

An Afternoon in the City



Today Hubby and I decided to take the day off and go to the Art Museum to see the Norman Rockwell Exhibit. It was the last weekend of the exhibit and I simply had to go. Of course they wouldn't let me take any pictures inside the exhibit, but I can tell you, it was worth the time. We had so much fun looking at all the original paintings and then a whole room devoted to all the magazine covers he illustrated from 1914 through the 70's. I have one of his framed prints that I just found in a thrift store for $15, and there it was among the magazine covers, from 1930. Just getting close to the large original paintings was a joy and an amazing sight. He captures every detail, from the scuff on a shoe, to the perfect expression on a face, so lifelike. Some of the paintings bring out raw emotions and tears to your eyes. I was so happy to experience it!




Afterwards we decided to walk around downtown. The Art Museum is right next to the Union Station in the revitalized down town.






 We went inside and I took some amazing pictures of the beautiful architecture and the Chihully Glass in the large crescent window. The building is now used as a courthouse, but we were admitted to the lobby, by the guard, as long as we showed ID and didn't take pictures of the security guards. It was pouring down rain outside, so we stayed inside the beautiful lobby until the showers subsided.






From there we took the Chihully Glass Tunnel that leads to the Glass Museum. Looking up was like being under water in a sea of jelly fish. All the glass was encased in the ceiling with the daylight shining through the beautiful colors. We decided to leave the Glass Museum for another day, as we were starving and needed a bite to eat.




We found a little cafe' nearby and ducked in just as it started to pour out once more. We each ordered our favorite Latte' and a delicious little red pepper quiche' with a salad. There were newspapers available, so we leisurely read the paper while we ate.





With our hunger satisfied and the rain subsiding, we set off once more to enjoy the sights. There were lovely stairways leading up and down the hilly terrain, and we found this pretty one that led right down to our parking area.



A wonderful day in a beautiful little city with my best friend. I hope you enjoy this little tour as much as I did!

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a fascinating exhibit. The Chilhully Glass is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those with the manycoloured glas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your nice comments! I hope you are having a good week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love going to the WA State History Museum, always informative... and the store there has beautiful items. I haven't been to the Glass Museum yet, one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this beautiful creativ glas with us :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...