Friday, April 22, 2011

Sunny Day

Today is a rare sunny day here in the Pacific Northwest. I plan on going outside and working in the yard. I haven't had much of a chance to do that this Spring, as we have had unseasonably cold weather. I woke up to several inches of snow earlier in the week! I feel bad for the little birds who are nesting and raising their little ones now. I have already seen the first batch of nestlings flying around...young Stellar Jays. They are so sweet with their innocent and clumsy ways and the tufts of feathers on their heads, not yet formed into sleek crests like their parents. I have many birds here, as we live in the forest, and they have lots of shelter to nest and raise their young. I also have a feeder where I put out only black oil sunflower seeds which I buy by the 40 lb bag! This attracts more than birds, though, and I have had my share of wildlife over the years, including bears, raccoons, possum, and lots of squirrels, to name a few. Occasionally a skunk will come by. I had a little cat, Yami, that fell in love with one skunk, and followed it around for days. She was a funny little cat, and loved anything really stinky. She would put her whole face inside hubby's shoes, and I can tell you, that was a stinky place! She is gone now, after gracing us with her presence for 18 years. I could write a book just about Yami, and maybe someday I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...